the C I V I T A S papers
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
 
They're baaack...

SCOTUSblog has brief summaries of and links to the four opinions issued today by the Supreme Court.



Notable:

  • In Oregon v. Guzek, a person sentenced to death for murder cannot offer evidence of innocence in an attempt to stop their execution, only evidence that the death sentence is misapplied or otherwise "wrong" can be offered.
  • Geez.

  • Two of the four opinions issued today involve employment law cases and both were decided unanimously. One of the two, Domino's Pizza, Inc. v. McDonald, concerned the Civil Rights Act of 1866 which is of professional interest to me.


  • The final case, Dolan v. Postal Service, recognized the right of consumers to sue the U.S. Postal Service "for injuries suffered because of the negligent way mail was left at a home or office" (SCOTUSblog). The facts of the case seem to be appropriate for Philip K. Howard's next book. My first read of SCOTUSblog's summary made me roll my eyes but I then realized that the Court is giving consumers the right to sue but a claim of injury resulting from negligence may have a tall hill to climb. Needless to say, expect your stamps to cost a whole helluva lot more in the near future.


  • UPDATE: Linda Greenhouse's coverage here; Charles Lane's here. [Via HB]
    - posted by C @ 12:14:00 PM


    << Home

    Powered by Blogger