the C I V I T A S papers
Wednesday, September 07, 2005
 
Two books

For those who don't know, I have a bit of an addiction. I am addicted to books. Not necessarily reading books to completion, mind you...but, I am addicted to books nonetheless. Today's manifestation of this plague occurred as follows:

  • I was reading a blog post which mentioned Bob Woodward's The Brethren
  • I realized I had intended to read this book a while back but hadn't done so
  • The library had a copy
  • The library also had copies of many of Woodward's works
  • I realized I had intended to read several other of his books (The Agenda, Plan of Attack, Bush At War, and the recently-published The Secret Man) and hadn't done so [additionally, the library had another that I'd never heard of (The Veil)].
  • Some of these titles reminded me that I hadn't read Imperial Hubris
  • Having gone to BN.com, I saw several other recommended books which caught my eye

    Before I knew it, I had a list of 16 books that I wanted to read. [Ed. note: I have several similar rabbit-trail lists of books scattered throughout my desk at work, my desk at home, a file folder at home, etc.]

    I won't mention the fact that when I went to the Library to check out The Brethren at lunch I spotted two more books of interest (Cornell West's Democracy Matters and Nick Kotz's Judgment Days).

    All this is backstory to the fact that the purpose of my visit to the library was to return Linda Greenhouse's Becoming Justice Blackmun in "exchange" for two books: Woodward's The Brethren and Kristin Gore's novel, Sammy's Hill.

    In other bibliographical news...two new books on or near the market find themselves on my radar: Justice Stephen G. Breyer's Active Liberty and Prof. Akhil Amar's America's Constitution: A Biography.
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger