the C I V I T A S papers
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
 
"Vote, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." - Ambrose Bierce

While WaPo's coverage of the primary is headlined "House Centrists Prevail in Va.," in the one race I mentioned here the incumbent lost to the upstart anti-tax candidate.

The article contains a quote that says it all:
"'I know [the incumbent] was one of the ones who voted to raise taxes. I thought that wasn't a good thing. We're Republicans -- that's not what we do," said 18-year-old Heather LeMunyon...who was voting in her first election."

I could write for hours, offering an lesson in governance and civics to Ms. LeMunyon and her comrades; instead, I leave you with these quotes from leaders with considerable experience with such matters, unlike Ms. LeMunyon and her candidate.

"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society." - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Or, if you prefer,

"Taxes, after all, are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in organized society." - Franklin D. Roosevelt




<< Home

Powered by Blogger