the C I V I T A S papers
Friday, June 10, 2005
 
Psst...It's Friday Spies©

I seem to find new blogs/blawgs everyday. A few weeks ago I found BeggingTheQuestion. Although I am still trying to catch up with their blogging idiosyncracies and/or traditions, I enjoy their weekly feature, FridaySpies©. Which, as best I can tell, is a blog-friendly version of the good ole days when "surveys" would be sent around via email to friends and strangers alike and through these rudimentary Q&As you would learn more about your friends, yourself, and the world around you.

Here is this week's FridaySpies© (with my answers included):

1. What is the earliest movie you remeber watching in the theater?
My first instinct was to say The Fox and the Hound (Disney). But, upon further review, I believe my first theater experience to be Fantasia. My initial reaction can be explained as it is a much more positive memory especially considering it was then that I met my long-time companion, Sour Patch Kids, and his sidekick, No-Taste-For-Three-Days. As the story goes, my trip to see Fantasia was one marred by great fright on my part and that of my brother. We did not stay to see the full-length feature.

2. If you could strike one word from the English language, which word would you shoose and why?
I am led in so many directions by this question. The ubiquitous "like" that has found its way into each and every sentence of most persons age 30 and younger (except those who have undergone endless hours of therapy) is a prime candidate. There are more proper and appropriate words for use in supplanting "like" in its legitimate uses (e.g. "just as," "similar," "enjoy his/her company but don't quite love") and its illegitimate use should be punishable by lashing. In the interest of full disclosure, I know that I, too, often fall prey to using "like" as a nervous filler in conversation. That, however, does not make it excusable.

3. If you were a superhero, what would be your kryptonite?
I could be romantic and no doubt should say, "my wife." It is true that she brings me to a standstill; sometimes it is her beauty, her wit, her intelligent grasp of complex issues, or her laugh that weakens my knees and would render any superhero powerless. But on a more practical level the question becomes more difficult to answer. There are things which cause a pause in progress towards a better "me" -- if I can interpret the question in such a way -- such as the smell of good buffalo wings or a West Wing marathon on Bravo.

4. Would you rather win an Emmy, Grammy, Tony, Golden Globe, Oscar, Pulitzer, or Nobel Prize? What work would you win it for?
I do not believe there is a more significant honor than to receive a Nobel Prize. I would hope to win the prize for work in human rights as a prosecutor before the International Criminal Court.

5. What is your catch phrase? Don't have one? Then make one up!
"n. An often repeated word or slogan." (Webster's II New College Dict. 176) When I was in high school, I would have been told my catch phrase was "carpe diem." Unfortunately, time and its way of making us less spontaneous have nearly removed that phrase from my lexicon altogether. Sadly, I cannot remember the last time I thought it let alone said it aloud. Nowadays, I imagine that if you were to ask those around me that my most "often repeated word or slogan" would be "google it." That says it all, now doesn't it. [BONUS: can you find the source of this song lyric?]

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger