the C I V I T A S papers
Friday, June 24, 2005
 
More thoughts on "moderate Christian"

Jeff Hawkes, a columnist for Lancaster, Pa.'s Intelligencer Journal, writes today on former Senator Danforth's comments (see previous post).

Mr. Hawkes concludes his column with:

"...I also found myself troubled with Danforth's repeated use of the phrase 'moderate Christian.' My reading of the Gospel convinces me Jesus was no moderate.

Jesus' ministry offered an example of radical love, especially for those despised by society: the leper, the prostitute, the possessed, the tax collector. Meanwhile, his program was about radical justice, bringing about a world in which the poor are blessed, the hungry are filled and the sorrowful may laugh.

This vision of radical love and social justice -- that God's will be established on earth as it is in heaven -- is compelling for many Christians. they may not identify with the religious right, but their lives are animated by faith nonetheless.

'Following a Lord who cited love of God and love of neighbor as encompassing all the commandments,' Danforth said, 'we reject a political agenda that displaces that love.'

But rejecting an agenda is not enough. I wish Danforth had also called upon Christians to advance a positive agenda, one in keeping with Jesus' commandment to love."

- posted by C @ 2:29:00 PM


<< Home

Powered by Blogger