the C I V I T A S papers
Saturday, January 08, 2005
 
Che

We may go to the movies today and one of the movies on our list of potentials is The Motorcycle Diaries. It has been recommended and I have an interest in seeing the Hollywoodization of a powerful story. However I have some serious concerns about the movie because of its central character: Che Guevara.

Most of my concerns with how this historical figure has been romanticized by the Western world to a point where most of the (young) people who cover their chests, backpacks, car bumpers, etc. with his mug shot know not what he truly stood for. He is lifted up as a figure of peace and populism; he was, however, a violent totalitarianist.

Slate published this very informative piece a while back and I encourage you to read it. If you want a modern account of the infamous motorcycle trek, I suggest Chasing Che (you can borrow my copy). I read it a few summers ago and it is everything you want in a good read.

Maybe we'll watch something less controversial today; like Kinsey.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger