the C I V I T A S papers
Tuesday, December 14, 2004
 
We the jury...

I won't take the time to fully explore yesterday's sentencing of Scott Peterson to death; at least not now. However, I wanted to share something that I recalled yesterday in the hours leading up to the announcement. The death penalty has -- for better or worse -- been a prevalent topic for discussion and debates in my young life. I must admit that I have changed my position/thought on the issue over the years for reasons that may surprise (some of) you. There are many powerful treatments of the subject out there -- including Dead Man Walking (book, film) and, on the topic of the role of race, portions of Closed Chambers -- but one has stood out above all others, and it is was this radio program that haunted me yesterday as we all readied for the Peterson sentence.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger